Without a doubt, Squamish is one of the best winter outdoor recreation travel destinations in not just Canada, but also North America. Located just 45 minutes north of downtown Vancouver, Squamish is an outdoorsmen’s dream filled with breathtaking scenery, abundant wildlife and so much to do. Squamish is known as the outdoor recreation capital of Canada for a reason and it also a great destination for family friendly activities. We wrote this initially for the BC family day long weekend, but figured it should be family day everyday!
Here is our guide to the top 5 unique family fun things to do this winter in Squamish
- Snowshoeing– Explore Squamish’s gorgeous scenery and extensive trail system on snowshoes this winter. This is a great winter activity that the whole family can enjoy. After you’re done snowshoeing for the day, head back into town and check out the Match Eatery and Pub to grab a few tasty beers for happy hour.
- Go Backcountry Skiing-Insane amounts of snow and immaculate winter scenery makes Squamish a perfect place to book your backcountry skiing trip. You’ll ski the Coast Mountains, characterized by extensive glacier alpine surrounded by rugged valleys. Because of their proximity to the coast, the Coast Mountains get some of the heaviest snow storms in all of North America. If you love skiing, you’ve gotta check out Squamish this winter season. A trip to Red Heather hut is the perfect backcountry ski trip to introduce your kids to the sport. Just be prepared to carry the little ones when their legs inevitably get tired!
- Check Out The Bald Eagles at Brackendale– Brackendale has one of the world’s largest bald eagle populations and is a gorgeous Squamish destination not to be missed. You and your family will love seeing bald eagles up close and in action. While you’re in Brackendale, be sure to check out the Brackendale Art Gallery featuring local artists and visiting exhibitions. The eagles stick around until mid February, however resident eagles can be spotted year round.
- Have A Canadian Dog Sled Adventure- Dogsledding might seem like a novel thing to do today, but life in northern British Columbia would’ve been impossible without it just a short time ago. Squamish dog sledding tours are available just 35 minutes north of town in the beautiful Callaghan Valley. People of every dogsledding experience level are invited to see the Canadian winter wilderness like never before from the back of a sled being powered by Siberian and Alaskan Huskies. A dog sled adventure through the Squamish wilderness is an experience you and your family will never forget.
- Take The Family On a Snowmobiling Adventure– Squamish is an ideal spot to book your next snowmobiling adventure because of the insane amounts of snow we receive, the unforgettable scenery you’ll find here, and how quickly you can get here from Vancouver(just 45 minutes). The terrain in Squamish suits every snowmobiler from beginner to advanced, and Squamish’s proximity to the coast means lots of precipitation and powder every winter. Snowmobiling season starts in November, and could last well into June some years. .
In addition to the best winter outdoor recreation you’ll find anywhere, there’s also a ton do, see, eat and drink in downtown Squamish. Hungry? Squamish has sushi, Indian, Chinese, pizza and tons of other restaurants to choose from. Thirsty? Try a delicious craft beer from Howe Sound Brewery and then stick around for some live music. Squamish has it all, and for completely reasonable and affordable prices. Check out our guide to the Local Favourite Restaurants to find a great place to dine
If you’re looking for a great holiday destination to take your family this winter, Squamish is absolutely what you’re looking for. With unforgettable activities for folks of all ages and interests, Squamish is a picturesque winter wonderland that you and your family will never forget.
Squamish is truly the place where the Sea meets the Sky. Discover why this is a recreation enthusiast’s dream location only 45 minutes from downtown Vancouver. Squamishadventure.com is your portal to the outdoor recreation capital of Canada. For more info on how to make the most of your trip to Squamish,contact us today!