Blackberry season is finally here, and if you’re anything like me, you’ve become hooked on the small, sweet and tart berries.
After work I spent quick twenty minutes picking a fridge full of berries and I was stuck. Aside from freezing them, or making goodies like berry tarts, cakes and slices, what am I going to use them for?
Well, why not chuck them in a fresh, healthy and tasty spinach salad.
Fresh Spinach, Blackberry and Honey Almond Summer Salad
Ingredients for the salad:
- 1 and 1/2 cups of fresh spinach
- ¾ cup of freshly picked blackberries
- 1 finely chopped BC apple
- 1 chopped mango (or any similar sweet fruit)
- A small cucumber
- 1 chopped red pepper
- 2 green onions
- ½ cup of feta or goats cheese
Ingredients for the honey roasted almonds:
- 1 cup of raw halved almonds
- 2 tablespoons of honey or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- Pinch of salt
Ingredients for the Blackberry Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing:
- 3 tablespoons seedless blackberry jam/ a large handful of fresh blackberries.
- 2 tablespoons quality balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1-3 teaspoons honey (optional depending on desired sweetness)
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 cup quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon dry basil
- freshly cracked salt and pepper to taste
- Mix together all the ingredients for the dressing (we recommend using a nutribullet or something equivalent if you have used fresh blackberries instead of jam).
- Cover almonds in honey/sugar mix and bake on low for 5-7 minuites.
- Combine salad ingredients, and the cooked almonds, to a large serving bowl. Drizzle with dressing to taste and serve to friends, family, and yourself.
Thanks to CarlsBadCravings and the abundance of fresh blackberries around squamish for inspiration.