Blackberry season is finally here, and if you’re anything like me, you’ve become hooked on the small, sweet and tart berries.
After work I spent quick twenty minutes picking a fridge full of berries and I was stuck. Aside from freezing them, or making goodies like berry tarts, cakes and slices, what am I going to use them for?
Well, why not chuck them in a fresh, healthy and tasty spinach salad.
Fresh Spinach, Blackberry and Honey Almond Summer Salad
Ingredients for the salad:
- 1 and 1/2 cups of fresh spinach
- ¾ cup of freshly picked blackberries
- 1 finely chopped BC apple
- 1 chopped mango (or any similar sweet fruit)
- A small cucumber
- 1 chopped red pepper
- 2 green onions
- ½ cup of feta or goats cheese
Ingredients for the honey roasted almonds:
- 1 cup of raw halved almonds
- 2 tablespoons of honey or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- Pinch of salt
Ingredients for the Blackberry Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing:
- 3 tablespoons seedless blackberry jam/ a large handful of fresh blackberries.
- 2 tablespoons quality balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1-3 teaspoons honey (optional depending on desired sweetness)
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 cup quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon dry basil
- freshly cracked salt and pepper to taste
- Mix together all the ingredients for the dressing (we recommend using a nutribullet or something equivalent if you have used fresh blackberries instead of jam).
- Cover almonds in honey/sugar mix and bake on low for 5-7 minuites.
- Combine salad ingredients, and the cooked almonds, to a large serving bowl. Drizzle with dressing to taste and serve to friends, family, and yourself.
Thanks to CarlsBadCravings and the abundance of fresh blackberries around squamish for inspiration.
Latest posts by Lauren Jones (see all)
- Meet The NKOTB: Rope Runner Aerial Park - September 26, 2017
- Penny Pinching? Save Money and Make your Favourite Fall Drinks at Home - September 14, 2017
- Our Picks: The Best Squamish Multipitch Climbs - August 19, 2017